We develop solar projects with community support and participation
Our community solar group, GreenLife Co-operative Inc., works to develop a series of solar energy projects on non-farmland or commercial rooftops. The solar energy produced by each project will go into Ontario’s electricity grid and help power our province.
Steps in building a community solar project
- Find suitable properties to host a solar project – Done! (still accepting additional locations)
- Membership Drive: minimum of 50 property owners to join in each county – IN PROGRESS
- Apply to receive approval to build our solar projects – IN PROGRESS
- Receive approval from the Ontario Power Authority
- Offer community bonds to interested members (at least 5% annual rate of return)
- Work with established solar developers and engineering firms to build all of the approved solar projects
- Generate green and renewable electricity from solar
What does becoming a member mean?
- You will be invited to our social events where you will meet other neighbours in your area that also support solar energy. Let’s mingle and have some drinks.
- You will have the option to invest (if we receive project approval) in our community solar bonds and preference shares with a 5% annual rate of return. More details on the optional investment opportunities will be released in 2014.
- Membership allows you to have one vote at our Annual General Meetings.
Becoming a member of GreenLife Co-operative provides you with a real opportunity to support your community, support renewable energy, help the planet, and gives you an option to make a profitable long term investment.
Triple Bottom Line: PEOPLE
- Educates people about renewable energy
- Provides a community investment opportunity
- Creates local jobs to construct and maintain the solar project
Triple Bottom Line: PLANET
- Renewable energy production will reduce the need for coal and other non-renewable sources of energy
- Local energy production will reduce the losses in the electricity grid distribution lines and increase reliability
- The solar projects are built on previously unused commercial rooftops making that space a valuable and a more productive part of a commercial building
Triple Bottom Line: PROFIT
- Your support will enable the building of these projects and create opportunity for individuals to invest funds with the intention of generating a measurable social and environmental impact alongside a financial return (Impact Investing)
- The option to invest will be in a secure and growing market of sustainable investment products
- Your investment returns are secured by a 20-year contract with the Ontario Power Authority to sell the energy generated at a guaranteed rate.
To find out more, please visit the contact page and get in touch with us. Our friendly representatives are always happy to answer any questions you have.